Dear DZG-Evolutionary Biology Community,
Here’s some news from the DZG subject Group Evolutionary Biology:
- The 114th Annual Meeting of the German Zoological Society took place in presence in Bonn 13th – 16th September 2022. Numerous participants listened to great keynotes, expert and student talks. The subject group Evolutionary Biology hosted 22 short talks and 7 posters. The prize for the best evolution poster went to Carolina Ortiz Movliav („When it gets warm in winter: Phenotypic plasticity in a cold adapted population of a range expanding spider“). Our invited speaker Cristina Tuni, LMU Munich, presented her research on „Reproductive trait evolution: unravelling the effects of pre- and post-copulatory sexual selection“.
- The next DZG-meeting will take place in Kassel from 4. – 8. September 2023 – save the date! For this meeting we are looking for early-career-researchers who would like to give an invited talk. Suggestions or self-applications are both welcome! Travel costs of up to 500 € can be covered by DZG.
Please send your suggestion or application to the speakers of the subject group (https://www.dzg-ev.de/fachgruppen/evolutionsbiologie/fachgruppensprecherinnen/) until 15. January 2023.
- Together with all DZG subject groups we are planning to have a new half day interdisciplinary symposium during the next DZG meeting in Kassel. For information on this, you already received a separate e-mail.
- We had a successful Graduate meeting in 2022 hosted by ZiF Bielefeld: Phenotypic plasticity & evolution, organized by Steven Ramm & Alfredo Sánchez-Tójar (Uni Bielefeld), 31 March – 2 April 2022, invited speakers: Sinead English, Oliver Otti
- We are looking for volunteers who are interested in organizing the Graduate meeting in 2023 (preferably in spring/early summer; in-person, hybrid or online-meeting) – please get in touch with us, if you would like to organize the next meeting (with financial support from DZG)!
We are looking forward to receiving numerous applications!
All the best
Monika Eberhard, Volker Nehring & Steven Ramm
Speakers of the subject group Evolutionary Biology